We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

PSA and JSA forgeries? Have you seen any you feel they possibly made a mistake on?

I'm not sure about you guys but I've seen a few in my years of searching ebay.  What about you?  Have you ever seen an autograph that was authenticated by a major authenticator ( EXCLUDING GAI ) that you thought was in fact a forgery?

If you have, please post scans if you have them available.  I know when it comes to authentication it is hard to beat JSA or PSA but I have read stories about some errors made by the companies.  The infamous Sal Bando incident is one that comes to mind http://rant.sportslizard.com/2007/12/01/jsa-authenticator-busted-on...

There are other examples very similar where JSA and PSA were at a show where an athlete was signing and someone swapped the real ball they had signed with a forgery they did before the show and the authenticator gave it the stamp of approval.   The Pete Rose incident is another example of where JSA assumed because Pete Rose was signing autographs at the show they were authenticating at, that every person who put a Pete Rose autograph in front of them must have the real thing.  

Here is another link that shows where a forgery may have slipped through the cracks.  http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=10958

They ( PSA and JSA ) have authenticated printed signatures in books as authentic and have even authenticated a real signature of Kato Kaelin signature as being signed by Kate Hudson.  

I am new here and certainly not here to cause a fuss, I am just curious as to what you guys think the % of fakes that do slip through the PSA or JSA cracks.  I think we can all be wise enough to admit that forgeries do get through.  There is no way they can be 100% all of the time.  

I value their opinion but after looking at a Mantle that they authenticated ( It looks traced ) , I question just how good they truly are.  I had a Derrick Rose autograph that failed their authentication, but in fact...It was obtained in person BY ME at a Bulls vs Bobcats game.  

I saw a youtube test video where a guy forged a Bob Feller autograph on camera and sent it in to PSA and it come back slabbed.  I just wonder if they are all they claim to be

Views: 3831

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you happen to have any scans of the USO signatures? Those must be great examples to keep in an exemplar file.

I dont think I have any up on the site. I sent them home and my wife packed them away. I will try and dig them out and get you a scan. Only thing I got her on is a couple USO supplied photo's. They could have done a better job of selecting a photo but signatures were pretty good.

Wished I would have gotten Kid Rock but missed out on that USO tour.

REALLY?!?!?!?!

I posted that in my Mattingly thread, I've studied Don's sig so much that I actually can see characteristics of his early sigs, but still this should go in the "Unable to render opinion" pile.... 

What collector can't tell this is a rubber stamp?  How the hell did this make it in to a PSA holder?  Sigh.........

This Pujols was PRINTED ON THE CARD........GUESS WHAT?  They give it the thumbs up even though every 2003 Topps 205 has the EXACT same printed signature on it.  Another example of WTF is going on.

Never seen that one before. They probably dinged the card grade because they thought it had writing on it. LOL

lmao!!!

JSA is a fricking joke when it comes to Celebrity autographs.  Case in point ( as Rod Serling would say ).  

Take a look at this Robert Deniro signed photograph.  Anyone who knows anything about DeNiro autographs could tell you in a second this autograph was obtained by writing to his agency in California.  I collected autographs by mail for a long time and I have the same signature on an IC.  This is NOT A REAL DENIRO AUTOGRAPH and I am 100% positive of that

Exactly. I put no stock on them when it comes to entertainment or music signatures. I research those sigs myself.........and I'm a lot cheaper.

Okay I'm done bashing PSA and JSA =)  I appreciate you guys for understanding my frustrations.  I am just upset because they wouldn't authenticate this box of Babe Ruth signed baseballs I sent them  

HAHAHAHA....Only kidding, but seriously.  I am going to stand by these figures below

PSA (Sports Autographs 90% correct)      Celebrity/Music(75%)

JSA (Sports Autographs 95% correct )      Celebrity/Music(60%)

GAI (Sports Autographs 40% correct )     Celebrity/Music (40%)

P.A.A.S ( Sports Autographs 70% correct)  Celebrity/Music (80% )

Judging from what I'm seeing  these are my feelings.  Agree or disagree but I stand firm on these figures

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service