We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Looking for a nice (and authentic) Bela Lugosi, I was offered this 1944 first day cover. The stamp commemorates' Hollywood's anniversary and someone attached a small photo of Lugosi and the signature is underneath. The cancellation is also on Halloween of that year. Would certainly appreciate thoughts either way on how this looks...

Views: 409

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This look very nice - bold, strong and the date is Halloween! For me, I would go for an SP - FDC might turn some off.

He signed a couple like this. I have one and you can see it in my avatar image. 

That's very nice, JXE. Do you happen to know the backstory on why he was signing these Halloween 1944 envelopes?  Seeing these, I'm curious.  

I'm not sure of the backstory. Some clever collector must have put together the date and the location and figured they'd make a great item. I've seen a small handful over the years. You can't go wrong with the great contrast of the ink on the envelope, the image, and the postmark. 

I agree, it's a fine presentation all the way around.  Plus the  actual postal stamp commemorating 50 years of movies has a great WWII period feel to it.  Luckily the collector supplied Bela with a fountain pen that was ready to go with thick ink.

Great item. It would look very nice matted with a photo.

Yes, it would. I have a photo from the Lugosi family of the type and pose in the other thread with the Beckett signatures I would be willing to part with. Likely a left over from what Bela had printed. It was sent in 1975 or '76 by Bela Jr - letter included which refers to "a photo of Dad". You can email me if interested at magikbilly@yahoo.com. It is the ideal size that won't overpower the FDC.

I was told that the signed envelope came from an estate of an old-time collector. I asked for a better scan and it appears like the address of the original recipient was erased. The one or two others of these I have seen also were postally used and had recipients' addresses on them. Is that the case with yours, JXE?

I know that Bela was a stamp collecting enthusiast.  I wonder if these weren't sent out by him....

Mine still has the address, and it appears to be the same, or similar, as the address that was erased from the image you posted (based on what's still there).

That's interesting. It does look like the erased writing is to the same address as yours.

Here's another one typewritten to that same address:

The type written one above is a classic example of his signature - very nice.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service